Pages

Monday, June 22, 2020

I am Fourteen…Leave me Alone!

If you have a kid (or kids) and you have never heard something like that it probably means your children have yet to reach the age of 14.  Look back on your own life.  Did you think that once you were a teenager that you were suddenly smarter than your parents?  It is really hard to get teenagers to accept the help of a therapist.

Here are some ways to navigate these “choppy waters” –

1.  Start by going to counseling yourself.
2.  Make it a family issue.
3.  Give your teen ownership of the process.
4.  Negotiate with your teenager for a mutually beneficial experience.

Encouraging your teenager to attend therapy can be really challenging!  Let me help you with that challenge.  I am New York/New Jersey child psychologist Dr. Steven Sussman.  Your teenager is NOT too old for kid’s counseling.  I think you will like my techniques that I have honed over decades.  Call me, Dr. Steven Sussman at (908) 217-8106.

No comments:

Post a Comment