Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

How Do You Get Your Teenagers to Go to Therapy?

I’ve got a better question…how do you get your teenagers to do ANYTHING?  Here are some typical complaints by parents.  “My son thinks I am the crazy one who needs to go to counseling instead.”  “My daughter does not want to sit in front of a stranger and tell them all about her personal problems.”

Here are some ways to encourage your teen –


1.  Introduce your teenager to a counselor BEFORE major problems arise.
2.  Promise that you will go into therapy with them.
3.  Empower your teen to take ownership of the sessions.
4.  Negotiate.  We will postpone therapy if I see a marked progress in your behavior.

If all else fails…take control!  That IS your job after all.  Call me for a consultation.  I am a New Jersey child psychologist who has dealt with the challenges of teenagers for decades.  I have even developed a special teen-friendly technique.  My name is Dr. Steven Sussman.  Call me today to meet in my Mountainside, New Jersey office at (908) 217-8106.    

No comments:

Post a Comment